1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Flash is "write-protected". How do I get past

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by arochester, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arochester

arochester Thread Starter

My youngest daughter teaches university in China. She has brought home a USB Flash Drive , that the computer identifies as, an "Aigo Miniking."

I have Googled "Aigo Miniking". There must be two different housings. Google shows one with a switch to lock/unlock. The one she has has NO PHYSICAL SWITCH.

Gparted will not format the Drive and reports that it is "write-protected."

I have tried "Properties" but I can't change it.

Is there any way of removing "write-protection" please?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi arochester,

The lack of a lock/unlock switch probably prevents it from being written, meaning it was intended to be read-only. Instead, I would get another USB flash drive the same size, reformat it w/Gparted, and use dd to copy it from your daughter's to the other USB flash drive.

-- Tom

3. itsjusme

itsjusme

Can you read the drive, does it have any files on it?
    I wonder if it has security software on it that protects it from being written to or formatted?

4. arochester

arochester Thread Starter

Yes, I can read the drive. It has One directory 360safe, which has three thing in it 1) Deepscan (an empty directory) 2) Two .exe files a) "Patriot Edition _360 security guards" and b) "Patriot anti-virus version _360" ( Both of those exes are in Chinese and I have translated) ...and one pdf "King of the Patriot anti-virus U disk mini manual V1.0" (also translated from Chinese)

5. itsjusme

itsjusme

Looks like the software probably has it locked. Try looking through the PDF manual and see if it has any reference to unlocking it so you can write to it, then you could format it .With some of this software that comes on flash drives , you have to run their removal tool to get rid of it, but i havent found anything specific to the names you mentioned yet.
    You could try one of the usb drive formatting tools:
    http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-10974082.html

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool.shtml

You also might try deleting the individual files if it will let you. If you can delete them you should be able to format it. One of the formatting tools may do it though, these are written for windows, they may have a Linux version. Also, FDISK may work in Linux.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice