1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Flashdrive nightmare!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dazedonblue, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dazedonblue

Dazedonblue Thread Starter

My Thompson 128 flashdrive worked 5 minutes ago and now nothing. The light comes on but it is not recognizing it. I use it only for school but ALL of my school work is on thiS thing. I checked the usb ports they are working fine. Any suggestions?

2. tjamnz

tjamnz

Sorry to hear that... but if you pulled it without disabling the drive in the system tray "safely remove hardware" (icon), you may have lost everything on your drive.

its happened to me, didnt believe it until it acually did. try inserting the drive into another pc's usb port, then you'll know for sure.

If your lucky enough to still have your data... burn it to cd or dvd also. you just never know.

I always backup important files to my flashdrive, a cd, and my hard drive every once in a while.

3. jackdw

jackdw

Mine did that to me yesterday. Luckily I did a backup of the whole memory stick two weeks ago so only lost about an hours work.

Confusing thing was, it wouldn't open the work I was working on, but would open work I've done and had backup up no problem.

Theres no known cure if it doesn't work in another PC except a format, if it shows which it doesn't in your case. I'd be tempted to send it back.

4. tjamnz

tjamnz

Yeah, When it happened to me... I was prompted for a format.

You can format your drive with FAT32 via XP

If your flash drive "wigs out", you may be able to restore functionality, however data recovery in most cases will be catastrophic. A frequent loss of data on flash drives is the corruption of the boot sector in the static RAM. Because Windows operating systems treat flash drives like "mini" hard drives, essentially what you have is a corrupted hard disk which must be reformatted to recover functionality

check out this post, I give credit to "Tedster" at "Techspot" for the info above. He has a few points i never considered.

5. Dazedonblue

Dazedonblue Thread Starter

Thank you all for for input, I guess it is what it is. I will see if I can reformat but I should back up back up back up....Duh

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

7. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Before you format the stick, go to admin tools, computer management, disk management and see if you can assign it a drive letter.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

This is not necessarily true. As long as the system is done writing to it, it should be safe to remove. For some drives, this feature doesn't even work.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice