USB Front Port Problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DexterDave

Hi All

My PC has the normal USB ports at the back, which all work fine and one in front, which also works fine except for one problem, it only picks up small flash drives(FAT 32 format) but not my large external harddrive(NTFS). Why is that?

Thanks

DexterDave

Desktop. Not too old (2years top). Intel Pentium Core 2 quad 2.66GHz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x86

LagunaGTO

Account Closed
You can try a BIOS update.

You can also try:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. Click the Hardware tab.
  3. Click the Device Manager button.
  4. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  5. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
  6. Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.
  7. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

DexterDave

Do I reinstall the USB drivers the same way I uninstall them? Inside device manager? Will they show up if I uninstall them?

LagunaGTO

Account Closed
Being Windows 7, once you reboot they should re-install.

You will see an icon on the system tray which looks like the below picture. You can click on the balloon and verify as they're installing if they're passing or not.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online