1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Hard Disk RAW Format?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sabreur, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabreur

Sabreur Thread Starter

I have fitted a new disk in my Dell Latitude e6430. I wanted to copy some data from the old disk to the new so I connected it via a USB adaptor but Windows reports the drive as RAW format.

Both drives have similar partitioning: a Dell Utiltiy partition, a hidden Dell recovery partition; ntsf C: partition WIN7-64sp1; ntfs D: partition; ntfs F: WIN XP-32 Sp3 partition.

Both drives work normally when inserted in the laptop (SATA)

Both drives get reported as RAW if connected via the USB adaptor.

The results are the same under 7 or XP.

Using Linux Parted Magic the drives again show up normally when connected by SATA but show up as a single unformatted partition under USB.

Both drives started out as Dell formatted drives and were partitioned using Parted Magic. They are different manufacturer but both e512 types. Parted Magic is latest version and apparently 4k aware.

I tried the drives in another external USB box with the same results.

Anybody had a similar experience or shed any light on what is going on?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice