1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Hard Drive broke

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lilmanjs, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilmanjs

lilmanjs Thread Starter

I just got a new computer from my brother the other day that is from like 2005 and has vista 64-bit home premium on it. everything works fine with the computer, and I had a USB hard drive that I've been using for over a year now that never had any problems with our slow comp from 2000. but this morning when I turned on my comp and went to listen to music I got an I/O error that caused the drive to stop working. the hard drive is a Seagate Free Agent 500gb model. same thing my sister has had for longer than me(the 250gb model though) and hers hasn't had any problems. I've attached a text file exported from the syspecs program.

Attached Files:

2. TekTime

TekTime

"...I got an I/O error that caused the drive to stop working."
    ---------------------------------

Do you mean that you got an I/O error first, and then your drive was not working?

Did you try the drive on a different USB port and/or in a different computer?

3. lilmanjs

lilmanjs Thread Starter

I got the I/O error before the drive stopped working. I've tried all the ports and tried it on the comp its been on since before I was given this computer. doesn't show up at all :(

4. TekTime

TekTime

The I/O error that you got is due to the computer not being able to either read from the drive, write to the drive or both. That most likely spells that the drive has failed.

How old is the drive and what is the make/model?

Is the drive being detected in Windows explorer by any chance
    (my computer)?

5. lilmanjs

lilmanjs Thread Starter

this is a Seagate Free Agent 500gb model and is almost a year old at this point. and the drive doesn't show up at all since I've gotten the I/O error

6. TekTime

TekTime

I'm searching for a solution now...have you ever gotten a "Delayed Write Failed" message before for this drive?

7. lilmanjs

lilmanjs Thread Starter

never seen that with this drive ever.

8. TekTime

TekTime

Ok..try this.

Do you have a small phillips screwdriver?
    If so and you feel confident doing this, carefully removed the drive from the enclosure.
    You will need to remove the base, and access the interface card. Then, unplug the thin wires with the white plug head. This will disable the light..yes the light! The light from what I am reading tends to cause I/O errors. Reassemble and let me know if this fixes it... :)

Here's a helpful yet "funny" explanation on a post of how exactly to remove the enclosure:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step: 1. Move the couch or head to the junk drawer and search for a hard stiffish yet somehow not to sharp, preferably plastic or wood, stick-like implement that tapers down to a wedge on one end.
    Step 2. Somehow jam that puppy into the seam between the upper and lower halves of the base.
    Step 3. Using a kind of prying action slide your homemade spudger, while prying until you encounter something you can’t slide past.
    Step 4. What you just hit is one of the stabby, clik-in plastic teeth that hold the two halves together. Take a firm thing with a thin bladeish head (perhaps a flathead screwdriver of a dull knife, and push in on that to help its little lip clear the upper part of the case. (these little tabs are attached to the bottom half I think.
    Step 5. Carry on spudging until your done. It gets much easier after you get the first one. Reassembly is “literally” a snap. If you busted one of the stabby things… there is always crazy glue.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    And if this works, please remember to backup your data as that drive is unreliable!

9. lilmanjs

lilmanjs Thread Starter

I will try that tonight and post my results tomorrow.

10. lilmanjs

lilmanjs Thread Starter

got the thing apart took the light thing out, and it still doesn't work. would it be a good idea to try and put the hard drive in the computer as a regular hard drive, since that's all it really is.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Installing the drive in your computer would confirm or eliminate the circuity in the External Enclosure as your problem. It could also Confirm or eliminate the drives as being good or bad.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice