1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Hard Drive failed to install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ahsiah, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ahsiah

ahsiah Thread Starter

Searching the internet, it seems a lot of similar problems come up but I still haven't found a solution yet.

The situation is that I have a external hard drive in a IDE to USB enclosure. The hard drive, when turned on, will be detected by Windows and then attempt to install. The installation fails and the hard drive disappears (Windows thinks it been disconnected).

I am running XP Pro SP2.

The USB device connection and disconnection sounds play on both occasions.

Checking in Device Manager, the hard drive is properly identified as USB Mass Storage Device and being supplied enough power. However, after a short time, I either get the 'installation failed, may not work properly' bubble or no message at all before the drive disconnects.

USB devices work fine, my 4GB thumbdrive also works fine. The hard drive itself works perfectly on my old computer (on an older copy of XP, with SP2 installed). A different hard drive in an identical enclosure also fails in the same manner.

This drive used to be attached to this computer and worked perfectly (I use it to move files back and forth from the old PC). For a few months, I needed the storage on the old PC and it sat with the old PC. Now it won't work.

Any ideas?

2. ahsiah

ahsiah Thread Starter

I have now tried:
    - doing a Windows Repair install
    - deleting registry keys associated with the drive
    - copy drivers (such as usbstor.sys) from the other computer

And I still have not got any results. This is driving me up the wall.

Anyone?

3. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

4. ahsiah

ahsiah Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the drive doesn't actually ever show up in Disk Management. (although my 4GB USB key does).

5. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

I have trawled the internet and this has worked for quite a few people.

"Someone on one of the newsgroups to which I am subscribed suggested not only closing down my computer but also switching it off at the mains socket. Seemingly this allows any residual current on the motherboard or any stray capacitance to discharge. Believe it or not it worked! I now have all my USB ports and devices working as I want them"

Give it a shot it cant harm if you havent allready

Gus

PS Some say to disconnect power for about 30 mins.

6. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Silly question, but have you tested the hard drive (in the USB enclosure) on another system? Maybe the enclosure is bad.

Courtney

7. ahsiah

ahsiah Thread Starter

LOL sounded like a long shot but I disconnected and then went to sleep. Pulled the plug, turned off the power supply and left it for like 7 hours. No luck :(

8. ahsiah

ahsiah Thread Starter

Yeah, that's the most aggravating thing about this. Like I said, I'm able to use the drive on my old PC just fine. I only discovered this problem after I had several GB of files I needed to move so I copied them on the drive, moved the drive over, plugged it in and..... nothing.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice