1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmakaveli21, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmakaveli21

dmakaveli21 Thread Starter

i recently purchased an 80 GB Western Digital hard drive, and a USB 2.0 enclosure kit. i followed all the instructions that i was given, i set the hard drive to master, im sure all the plugs are in correctly, and i installed the drivers that were given to me. i plugged in the hard drive into the USB port and plugged in the power source, and the drive is on, but even after i restarted my computer the new hard drive does not show up anywhere. i dont know too much about computers so im lost as to what i should do...could someone please help? thanks.

2. rugrat

rugrat

First a couple of questions,
    What operating system are you running?
    Second, how many drives show up in explorer?

Let us know

3. dmakaveli21

im running windows 98 and there are a total of 4 drives, my 3 1/2 floppy (A),my original hard drive (C),my original CD drive (D),and a CD-RW drive that i installed later (E). thanks in advance for the help!

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Are you sure that the USB ports work? Have you tested them with anything else?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When the drive is first plugged in, does windows even see it? And begin to install drivers?

6. dmakaveli21

yes i know the USB port works i used to have a scanner plugged into it that worked just fine. and yes, originally when i first plugged the drive in and turned the computer on, it was recognized and all the drivers installed fine. then i restarted, but the new drive was nowhere to be found. i tried uninstalling all the drivers and repeating the whole process but it still didnt work!

7. ~Candy~

Do you ever get the little icon for it in the lower right hand corner? What version of 98 are you using? I had trouble getting 98 to work with my USB drive, but 98SE works fine, once I found the correct drivers for it ;)

8. rugrat

rugrat

Another thought, Win98 has a problem seeing drives beyond E
    Go to start, run and type sysedit
    Open your config.sys file
    Add the line "lastdrive=z" without quotes.
    This will allow windows to see drives beyond letter E

9. ~Candy~

RR, is that just 98? I hadn't heard that........

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice