1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Hard Drive Saying Not Formatted

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by landart, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. landart

landart Thread Starter

I have a HP compaq 8430 after getting my hp nx7010 replaced due to a poor connection between the internal hard drive and the motherboard supposedly (this is a completely different story) but my luck has not been too good with the HPs.

I then bought a WD My Book 500gb pro edition external hard drive to keep renderings, and such on for a grant that I am working on. I left the drive at the office and took my laptop home for the weekend and when I came in on Monday plugged everything in and the message:

"The disk drive is not formatted, format now?"

appeared and I have not even had the setup for a week!! I do have a weeks worth of work on the external hard drive which is not backed up else where that I would like to salvage - mostly psd files and photos. Which of the the previous ways worked best to recover photoshop files?

I can use my computer to make a good drawing but am not sure how to access the system that well. Thanks for your clarity.

Thanks for your help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Hi and Welcome to TSG, I've split off your post into its own thread.

First thing as always is to try the drive on another computer or try a different USB cable.

For data recovery software you could try PCI Inspector as its free: http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

Additionally, I would recommend in the future that you always have two copies of your data, one on the internal hard drive and a second backup on the external drive. Having just one copy of the data on the external drive is no better then having one copy on the internal drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice