1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fcuk, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fcuk

fcuk Thread Starter

I have a Maxtor 40 Gig hard drive, inside a Scanlogic external USB case. I was formatting my Dell 5150 laptop while I had my external hard drive plugged in, and now I can't access anything my hard drive. I'm running WinXP Pro, and when I plug it in I hear that little beep thing, and in some options menu, it says there is a Scan Logic usb device hooked up, and after that it says there is a Maxtor hard drive. But it doesn't show up in "My Computer" What am I to do???

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Welcome to TSG...
    Does the USB Drive show up in Windows Explorer?
    Was the Maxtor formatted for Fat32 prior to your installation of XP Pro?

3. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Hi, and welcome. Is the USB Drv showing up in Device Manager ?

4. fcuk

fcuk Thread Starter

Where's the device manager, I can't find it. And yes, it was formatted with Fat 32. I formatted it on my win98SE machine a few years back

5. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

fcuk, You should see it after rt cliking on My Computer on ur Desktop, select properties. After that u should be at a screen that says, System Properties. At the top select the Menu Bar that says, Hardware. Take that and then you'll see a bar that says, Device Manager. You should see it under there somewhere probaly under disk drives and/or under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If it is not being reported there then try to get Windows to recognize it by running the Add New Hardware
    Wizard. Let us know what u find.

6. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

You are going to have a bigger problem than just having the system identify the drive.When you loaded XP Pro it (system drive C: ) was formatted as NTFS,not Fat32.These two formats are not compatible.

7. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

GwizJoe,

that's only true in so far as drives formatted with Fat32 cant read
    NTFS Partitions. However, a boot drv formatted w/ntfs can read
    Fat32 Partitions. So in a sense the compatibility feature is only a
    "One Way Street", so to speak.

8. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Thanks Rusty,I couldn't remember which way it went,I'll try to remember that.

I wonder if that USB drive was set as a main system drive (including the OS) when it was on the old 98se system.

First thing I'd do,would be to find someone that has a system running 98se and hook it up to a USB port just as it is.I'd want to know if the drive functions before I went any further.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If I were you, I'd forget about all the talk about FAT32 being incompatible with W2K or WXP, it's nonsense. The ONLY thing that's an issue with either of these two O/S versions is creating a FAT32 logical drive larger than 32gigs, but it'll read any size logical disk drive.

On 2K or XP, there is NO issue freely intermixing NTFS and FAT32 filessytems on the same physical drive or on different drives.

If you ever want to connect the drive to a 98 or ME system, format it FAT32, if you'll never be in that position, format it NTFS.

10. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

like johnwill says there is no issue on OS compatibility in terms of recognizing and reading partitions of this fat32 drive. It should be recognized & readable whether the OS is fat32 or ntfs. So tis not necessary to hav to put the drv on a system runnin 98se for it to be recognized and/or readable.

11. fcuk

fcuk Thread Starter

I see the Scanlogic device under USB devices, and I see the hard drive in the hard drive area. But it doesn't show up in my a computer.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you gone and taken a look under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management? You can assign drive letters or repartition/reformat the drive if needed.

13. fcuk

fcuk Thread Starter

Sweet, I see the hard drive in there, but how do I assign a drive letter???And it also says "unallocated" whatever that means.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you right click on that drive, it should give you the option to "Change the Drive Letter or Path" - choose an unused drive letter.

However, that unallocated space doesn't sound good to me. I believe it means that the drive is not partitioned or formated, ie. blank.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, unallocated means you have a clean slate, time to paint a picture. :D The first step in painting the picture is partitioning it, then format it. I'd use a Extended Partition, since you never plan on booting from it. I can only guess that it got "nuked" when you formatted with it plugged in, though I can't imagine why.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice