USB HDD question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JMooney5115

There is not an empty slot in my PC for another HDD so I want to add an external drive. When I transfer documents to my memory stick it takes about 5 minutes for a 100MB file; this is using a high speed car that's suppose to transfer at speeds of 80 MBps. Would the external HDD transfer this slowly, or will it send and recieve as fast as one in the PC?

System specs:
Windows XP
Pent. 3
600MHz processor
384MB of RAM

Thanks.

G'day Jmooney, you can obtain an add in PCI/USB card which will give you some more sockets.
Ensure the card you decide on is USB-2 standard, and try to get one with four sockets on the back plate and a header or extra sockets on the inside.
This becomes very useful for placing a multiple usb plate in a spare floppy place or a spare 5 inch plate on the front of your machine at a later time.
You cannot have too many USB sockets and having them on the front is extremely useful for flasdrives, cameras and that kind of thing.
I have eight on this machine I am using and they soon become used believe me!
The USB-2 standard is a lot faster than the older USB-1 which possibly could explain your problem, but commercial drivers that come with a card seem a lot better than those in windows.
Cheers, qldit.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You have a pretty old MB there, so I'm sure it doesn't have USB 2.0 onboard.

JMooney5115

My question had nothing to do with adding more USB ports. We bought a PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 inputs. My question is will the data transfer be slower with it connected to the USB port instead of the IDE cable because of my out of date PC?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yes, USB 2.0 transfers go about 20-22 mbyte/sec maximum on most of the computers I've tested them on, and the same drive will easily hit 50-55 connected directly to the IDE controller

There are other alternatives but they are not related to your question either.
qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online