Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USB host controller problem

880 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Byteman 
#1 ·
Hello, I bought a USB audio recording interface and in the fine print contained in the manual it says that VIA USB host controllers are not compatible. Can the host controller be changed or is this a motherbooard issue?:confused:

#2 ·
Hi, Yes, motherboard chipset is integrated BUT you can add port card to a pci slot, they are not expensive (around $23-- and even lower for a simple 2 port, the others usually have four or five. Some of these cards have Firewire ports, too. These are USB 2.0 cards, but older USB 1.1 devices will work OK on them. This also allows you to still use the internal VIA ports with devices.
Great solution for your problem: Get either a USB 1.1 port card, based on a different brand chip, like NEC for one...makes more sense to get a 2.0 card, as there are a lot of devices made that will use the 2.0 functions. Available at your favorite hardware outlet, online places, etc. Be sure to get some 2.0 cables if you are going to be using USB 2.0 devices.
The cables look the same- I label mine.
VIA does really have quite a few compatibility issues. The SoundBlaster series of audio cards is one.

I use several things, like a camera, and it would freeze all the time. On an Intel based system, runs great.
They do update the chipset drivers and have made lots of progress. But, if it is not reccommended to use a device on a certain type of board, best to just add in a card. There are also external USB hubs, a bit more in cost....

#3 ·
The via host controllers are not the same for all via chipsets.. Earlier one's had a lot of compatability problems but a lot has been fixed. If you have a via chipset, I'd install the newest hyperion drivers off
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

then try it, it'll probably work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.