1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Hub and USB PCI Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jellygumbo, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jellygumbo

jellygumbo Thread Starter

I have a Belkin 5 port USB 2.0 card in my PC, and I tried plugging in a Linksys 4 port hub into it. When I do, I get an unknown device error. If I plug it into one of my onboard USB ports, I get the same error. If I take out the PCI card, and plug it into the onboard port, it works just fine, but I am losing the USB 2.0 speed since the onboard port is 1.1. I am running under XP Pro w/sp1.
    Any ideas?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Leave the card in and disable the onboard USB ports in the BIOS.

3. jellygumbo

Well...that sounded like a great idea and I tried it, but that didnt work either. I tried disabling just ports 2&3and just 0&1, too.
    Help!

4. Rockn

Rockn

Are you sure that hub is USB 2.0? Try another PCI slot on the motherboard

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The fact that the on-board USB 1.1 ports are enabled shouldn't be an issue. I have a bunch of machines with USB 2.0 boards that have USB 1.1 ports, I've never bothered to disable any of them.

6. jellygumbo

It works on any workstation that the PCI card is not in. The common factor is the hub thing. The PCI card installs a USB hub, and so does the Hub.

7. jellygumbo

Ooops...forgot, I did try a different PCI slot.

8. jellygumbo

I am kind of wondering if I installed a card with less ports if that would do the trick? Suggestions?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice