1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Hub v/s Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeFrank, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeFrank

JoeFrank Thread Starter

I have a HP a6712f running Win 7 home premium 64 bit. I need additional USB ports. Can anyone tell me what would be better -- buying a quality USB powered hub or installing a multiport USB card? The stats on my PC indicate I have 2 available PCIe x1 slots available. I have been using a 4port hub with an external power source, but several of my devices (external HD and 2ond printer) will not work unless plugged directly into ports on the CPU. As I have searched this forum it seems there are lots of problems with cards, yet in reading elsewhere it seems a multiport powered card might be the answer to my issue. I mostly need to plug in a second printer, an external HD for backup, and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I looked at a Belkin F5U252 at Buy.com for $58. It has a jack for power so I would hope there is an available plug in the CPU to power the card. I don't consider myself very knowledgeable on hardware, but have in the past added memory, hard drives, and Ethernet cards to older PC's. Any suggestions, recommendations would be appreciated. I don't want to mess up an otherwise stable PC.

2. Irukku

Irukku

I'd go for the hub, it will be easier to install and setup, and also works as an extension to your USB devices cords. :)

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

The USB internal card will be less desk clutter, power adapter etc...

Get an NEC chipset USB card (skip the VIA chipset stuff) and don't pay more that $20.

4. Hughv

Hughv

I'm with Irukku.
    My 7 port Belkin hub has been flawless and sits 18" away where I can readily access it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice