1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Installation problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raygdw, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

I am running Win XP Pro. I wanted to use a new product that is on a USB key. I therefore plugged it in as instructed and got the normal message New Hardware Found. Then a message saying CD (?) anyway after that nothing happened. The prog would not run.

I therefore went to Device Manager and looked at USB. I found it listed as USB Mass Storage Device.

I tried to uninstall this using Device Manager because the product instruction book says if it fails to work uninstall from Device Manager and reinstall.

The system just will not uninstall it. I get the confirmation Window and click yes. Then nothing happens. Eventually I look at Task Mgr and it says Device Mgr not responding. So I ended the task. I did this 4 times.

Then I decided to try a System Restore. Again no joy. It restored the system but that entry is still there and my prog still will not function.

How can I uninstall it and start again????

Later addition. Just thought I should add that the USB device installed perfectly and works fine on my Desktop XP computer but will not work on the Laptop which is where I really need it. Anyway thought I would add that so we know it is not the uSB key or prog that is the problem.

2. ChemicalMonkey

ChemicalMonkey

well, you made a typical error from the start, although plug n play is rather nice, its not the smartest process to install USB devices with. I suggest forgetting about unistalling it, go to the manufactures website, download and install the latest driver they have listed manually, if they dont, find it...

Installing the new one should override the other installation that failed.

3. raygdw

raygdw Thread Starter

Will do thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice