1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Interface Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmm, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmm

dmm Thread Starter

My PC is 6 years old, pretty sure USB interface is 1.1 (but how do I tell for sure?)....I'm researching to purchase an external hard drive online and want to know if the 2.0 USB interface is automatically compatible with my 1.1? Or must the specifications details need to indicate 2.0 and/or 1.1 compatible for me to be sure?

Thanks!
    DMM

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    USB 2.0 is backward compatible to USB 1.1 but it'll be much slower, 12Mb/s versus 480Mb/s.

In Device Manager it should say USB 2.0 or Enhanced USB if you have USB 2.0 AND its enabled. 6 years old probablyu means it USB 1.1 as that was before USB 2.0 was being used. But post the make and model of your computer or motherboard just to be sure, maybe its somewhat newer.

You can add USB 2.0 poets to your computer by a adding a card like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815107102

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's six years old, that's how you tell! :D I'll be stunned if they're USB 2.0...

4. dmm

dmm Thread Starter

Dear Triple6 (Distinguished Member),

Thanks VERY much for your help! I don't see any reference to 2.0 (or 1.1) in items listed on system/hardware/device manager -- so this means it's 1.1, correct? The adapter you recommend doesn't cost very much -- will it help with the speed issue? And will this adapter connect into one of the ports on the back of the PC?

As you can tell, my strengths do not lie in hardware issues!! I certainly appreciate your willingness to help.

DMM

5. qldit

qldit

Good Evening dmm, that card mentioned by T6 fits quite simply to an unused slot on your board, the four USB sockets are available from the rear of your machine and yes they will be USB-2 (the higher speed)
    These are usually controlled by a commercial driver with excellent reliability.
    You will be suitably impressed!

Ensure you remove the power lead from your machine and practice antistatic commonsense
    when you go to fit it.
    qldit.

6. JohnWill

7. qldit

qldit

Good Morning JohnWill, that is a nice looking card, it even has an extra socket on it for connecting to an internal lead if needed.

It may be an idea not to mention that USB accessory plates or items can be obtained that mount in a spare floppy drive bay on the front of the machine and plug into this socket.
    Of course we need to keep the fact that USB sockets on the front of a machine are incredibly useful! LOL!
    Cheers, qldit.

8. JohnWill

I'd love to find a card with the 10 pin header for some internal devices, but the only ones I've seen have the ALi chipset, and I wouldn't install those in an enemy's system. ;)

9. qldit

qldit

I've never had any problem with ALI.
    But I suppose I haven't really installed more than a couple of dozen.
    As I recall they were nine pin. (one missing)
    The header was the reason I actually preferred them, they were especially useful for the scattered leads.
    I must admit the machines I worked with at that time were generally all Intel which probably had a lot to do with it.
    I have a few NEC's here similar to the one you depicted (Aus$25!!) but the hic-cup is that most of the front mounting accessories I see or get are header type plugs. (and ALI cards cost Aus$20)

Those front mount USB connections certainly are uesful for flashdrives and items like that.
    There was one cheap model I was getting that had four sockets and function leds that fitted into a spare floppy bay. (header plug)

By the way, have you felt how hot some of these flashdrives get!
    I have been recomending owners not leave then in when not being used.
    I feel some may be overheating.

When they are in the rear sockets, you would never know how hot they actually get.
    So I do feel there is method in the madness of having front mounted USB-2 availablity, it certainly is useful.

Cheers, qldit.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Some of us in cooler climes depend on that extra heat qldit.

You sure it's not just the ambient temperature in that hell-hole of an inferno called Brisbane (or the lunch at the club wearing off?).

11. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Kiwi, Don't worry, you will eventually be very warm!
    What kind of fork were you figuring on! LOL!
    Sounds like the yanks are feeling the heat.
    qldit.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice