1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Intermittent fault

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ukbirdflu, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ukbirdflu

ukbirdflu Thread Starter

I have Acer Power using Intel Pentium 4 on Windows XP, the machine is about 6 months old. I have an intermittent problem with USB devices, e.g. memory sticks, camera etc. Some times when I plug these things into the socket (Directly, not through hubs) the computer will make a sound as usual, but it does not show up on Windows Explorer, the only way to clear it is to reboot the machine.

At first I thought the USB ports are faulty, so I installed a PCI USB adaptor, still it happens some times. Is there a fault with the mother board, or could it be software? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

2. Athan

Athan

What make is your motherboard ?
    I ask this because Intel 101/102 had this as an inherent issue

~a

3. ukbirdflu

ukbirdflu Thread Starter

I do not know but I will find out tonight when I get home.

4. Athan

Athan

It might be a good idea to go to device manager and check for any warning signs against the Listed USB Universal Host controllers under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers !!

If you see any warning signs then please try reinstalling the drivers !!

all the best
    ~a

5. dogged

dogged

also you might want to check event viewer and see if there are any warning event id's there that could give a clue once you look the code up at the MS website.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!