1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by endlessmike, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. endlessmike

endlessmike Thread Starter

last night my system lost power for no reason. after a few minutes i was able to start it up again, but since then i've been having problems with the USB ports (which control, among other things, my mouse and DSL connection.) after 30 or 40 minutes of use, the computer stops recognizing the USB devices. a few times my entire system has even frozen. i have not had either of these problems before today. any ideas?

nick

2. dzones

dzones

USB is dependant on your power supply. Often times if your power supply is weakening it can effect your usb and other things like shut downs and restarts without warning.
    If you are using a major brand model these can sometimes have very low end power supplies (as little as 90 watts compared to 400w of most custom builds today).
    I would have your power supply checked out if possible.

Another note also is if your machine shuts down and will not power up for a little while it can often be a sign of overheating. although I have not heard of one coming back up and having usb problems as well.

Hope that helps.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice