USB Key Script

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sachit64

I want to load a script or something on my USB key that will allow me to automatically copy a specified folder from the computer.

I'm constantly updating files and transfering them from one computer to another. Is there a way to automatically have a folder copied once it is plugged in without having to manually copy? Anyone able to CREATE something like this for me?

sachit64

I guess I should've mentioned this, but instead I simplified the situation. The folder setup is the same on EVERY computer in the building and I need to just be able to plug in the USB key into the computer and grab whatever is in the specified folder. No time to really install programs on each computer.

Basically what I want it to do is plug in the USB key and it'll automatically copy the said folder path onto the USB key without me doing anything.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
sachit64 said:
I guess I should've mentioned this, but instead I simplified the situation. The folder setup is the same on EVERY computer in the building and I need to just be able to plug in the USB key into the computer and grab whatever is in the specified folder. No time to really install programs on each computer.

Basically what I want it to do is plug in the USB key and it'll automatically copy the said folder path onto the USB key without me doing anything.
USB does not natively have an AutoRun feature so you cannot have it do this automatically. It is not like a CDROM drive that allows an AutoRun. You will have to create some kind of batch file or script to execute what you want to do. That is the plain simple truth.

There is a program out there that can make your USB stick AutoRun, but you would need to install it on every computer you use it on. Your best bet is to make a batch file or script to do what you want and just execute it.

sachit64

Ummm, I guess thats something that could help me get there... just one problem. I can't code.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
sachit64 said:
Ummm, I guess thats something that could help me get there... just one problem. I can't code.
Like I said, learn to use AutoIT. Just because someone knows how to write computer programs in C++ doesn't mean they know how to make AutoIT work. They would have to learn it just like anyone else. They have a great online docuementation and couple of tutorials to get you started on doing some basic tasks.
http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/

sachit64

Haha, totally forgot that last line... "where are the tutorials".

Thanks. If I got questions, I'll come here and ask I guess.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online