1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB keyboard; doesn't fully work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zenoxio, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

I have a USB keyboard that used to work fine, now it has problems.

Plugged in, normal keys don't work. So like letter keys etc don't work. The only keys that do work are the special keys for the keyboard (like F-lock, My Home, etc).

Any idea how to fix this? Using Windows XP SP2. I've tried restarting.

2. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

Anyone?

3. GripS

GripS

With a PS/2 keyboard go into the BIOS and enable usb keyboard support. Shut it down. Plug in the usb keyboard and see if that helps.

If you don't have a ps/2 keyboard buy one or borrow one. They can be had for super cheap now.

4. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

But if that option was off, no keys would work I think. So I don't think that is going to help.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Will the keyboard work on another computer or another USB keyboard work on this computer?

Most likey there is something amiss with the keyboard itself, but you have to test.

For driver issues, which is unlikely, you could just try doing a System Restore to a date when it worked. All you need is the mouse for that.

6. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

Hmm yes, the keyboard does work on my laptop.

7. erick295

erick295

Remove it from the device manager and then restart.

You can also go to the manufacturer's Web site and download a newer driver for it.

8. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

What would it be called on Device Manager?

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Create a System Restore point and test it: Start > run: msconfig > launch System Restore

Download, unzip and run the attached file. Confirm the merge to the registry.

Then open the Device Manager, expand the key for Keyboard devices. Select View > Show Hidden Devices.

Now right click on each keyboard device and select "uninstall". When done, reboot.

If you see the New Hardware Wizard and it doesn't know where to find something, point it to:

c:\windows\INF

This assumes 'c' is your root directory. The INF folder is hidden so you need to have "show hidden files" enabled in Folder Options > View to see it.

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/511381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice