1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB keyboard issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buruuberriez, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buruuberriez

buruuberriez Thread Starter

Hi guys I'm having an that I was hoping I could get some assistance with.

I'm having a problem with my Thermaltake Challenger Ultimate Keyboard where the characters and certain punctuation keys are not working. I have read several threads on other keyboard Issues but it seems like those still don't quite apply.

For the sake of ease here are the facts:
    • My Computer is running on Windows 7
    • The drivers for the keyboard are up to date
    • From observation there does not appear to be an issue with the hardware itself. The keyboard is clean, ALL of the keys work without any issue (including both shift keys) EXCEPT when shift and an alpha numeric key are pressed together to try and get the symbol keys. This leads me to suspect an issue with software.
    • The number keys that don't work with the shift keys are 1,2,3,4 and 7,8,9,0.It should be noted that 5 and 6 do in fact work to get % and ^. There is also an issue with getting a question mark.
    • the keyboard region settings are correct and it is not an issue with mismatched characters, the characters are absent entirely when these keys are pressed.
    • Again, all the number keys work as they Should when pressed, to do both shift keys. l am able to get capital letters without issue, as well as certain punctuation marks.
    •I do not have the same issues with another keyboard, I just wanted to know really why this keyboard would randomly begin to act differently, as It had been perfectly fine beforehand.

Help guys. This mystery is driving me up the wall!

2. gberger

gberger

From reading your description, I don't know why you have ruled out a hardware issue. The fact that the 5 and 6 keys work while others don't, and your statement that you are not having this problem with another keyboard both point to a hardware problem. Why would the 5 and 6 keys be the only keys working if there was a software issue?
    The best test of course would be to use another identical keyboard and see what happens.

3. buruuberriez

buruuberriez Thread Starter

Forgive me if im a bit of a novice but I assumed that because all the numbers do work, I can type any numbers with the top row keys, and I can use both shift keys to change to capitals. so all of the keys work on their own, only 1-4 and 7-0 dont work - aka dont show up with any symbols when you shift press. All those numbers as well as both shift keys work with zero dramas in all other circumstances.

So that's why I wondered :confused:

4. gberger

gberger

Understood, I think we are interpreting the same information differently. I'm sticking with the hardware being most likely.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!