1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Keyboard Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Avalanche9, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Avalanche9

Avalanche9 Thread Starter

I recently got a new keyboard (Saitek Eclipse II), and it's the first time i've switched keyboards from good-old-fashioned PS2, to USB2.0

Now, however, i'm having some problems in-game.

The keyboard works perfectly out-of-game, but when in some games (eg. GTA-VC, America's Army, CSS etc.) the keyboard is slow to respond, and if a key is held down, the game eventually crashes.

I'm running a custom-build gaming pc: Proc:AMD Athalon 64-bit San Diego 3700+
    RAM: 2048MB
    GPU: Ge-Force FX7800 GS

I've tried using other USB keyboards in the PC, and the same problem occurs.

Any advice?

2. tjamnz

tjamnz

The Eclipse has a two year warranty, and they say theyll stand behind their products, Send an e-mail to [email protected]. Try another keyboard to see if you have the same issue. I game too, and id rather just use an older one than let it ruin the action. If the older ps/2 keyboard works out ok, Eclipe should be able to address the issue. Im just saying.. its probably not related to your system, as long as your game doesnt hang with another keyboard.

Check for driver update with the company also.

3. Avalanche9

Yeah, like i said in my previous post, i HAVE tried another USB keyboard, with the same result, which is why i assumed that it was a problem with the USB on the computer

...and Saikek doesn't do drivers for XP32bit... which IS quite suprising, but isn't a problem if it is the USB on my computer

4. tjamnz

tjamnz

I must have missed the last sentence of your response... I think i found your post at 2am (musta been a little tired) Anyways... Im assuming youve checked your device manager for any related information?

Mycomputer>right "click">manage>device manager>"click">look for your device, right click properties.

5. Avalanche9

Yeah of course. That was the first place i tried.

I havn't had and other problems in this USB hub, so i tried my other 7 ports aswell, with the same result.

It's strange why it only happens in-game though. It seems to occur only while i'm running fullscreen-applications

6. tjamnz

tjamnz

Before you can begin using your keyboard with a game, you must first use your mouse and click in the game window. That tells your browser to pass keyboard control from the browser to the game. If you havent heard of this already. Its worth a shot.

7. Avalanche9

ahh it was worth a shot - but no luck :(

8. seahawk

seahawk

There is a setting in bios if you are going to use a USB board that needs to be enabled.

9. Avalanche9

yeah i've done that - which is why the keyboard works in normal operations

i've also tried using USB keyboard support on the BIOS instead of in the OS - but again no result

=>I'm pretty stumped fro ideas!

10. ctorres4745

ctorres4745

According to my research, USB keyboard slowing down games is pretty common. It has been recently reported online in several places that its just the fact of using USB keyboards in general. They say to switch to a PS2 port.

I would possibly try a USB-PS2 converter.

For more information, one of our hardware testers is looking into this information and a post should be added to our webpage. The webpage is still in beta so please bare with us while we are constructing it.

the webpage is http://www.unbiasedreview.net

Administrator: If you would like us to link the article back to this forum for using our website as help for the problem, please email me at [email protected] and i would be glad to put a link to this forum. :D :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice