1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB keyboard problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alwpoe, Feb 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwpoe

alwpoe Thread Starter

I recently bought a used computer with only USB ports. The keyboard is working, but has some glitches. The Start button does not work (except by mouse), and the Ctrl-Shift-arrow does not select/highlight. All other common shortcuts work, however. I bought a new USB kb and installed it, and it does the same thing, so I assume there is some kind of problem with my Windows set-up. But I have never heard of this problem, so I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?

2. Dan O

Dan O

What version of Windows are you using? There have been several USB updates available. Have you downloaded and installed them? Also check your BIOS to ensure ACPI is enabled and USB "OS support" is selected. What make and model PC is it? You may also want to check with the manufacture for BIOS updates.

3. alwpoe

alwpoe Thread Starter

I am using Windows 98SE. The computer was manufactured by EZ-2000, which I've never heard of, though I found a defunct website on Dogpile. It has, I believe, an Intel 810 motherboard, and I do not know how to access the BIOS on it. But the problem couldn't be that it just doesn't accept my USB kb, since it is working. Only a couple of things are not.

4. Dan O

Dan O

Software (which includes BIOS) is never prefect that is why their are patches and updates all the time from every vendor out there. If the vendor is any good.

Is your PC a Compaq Presario EZ2000 series?

If not I never heard of a EZ2000. Can you post a URL (a link/Internet address) for the manufacture and I will research some more.

5. alwpoe

alwpoe Thread Starter

A helpful person on another forum happened on the answer, to which I am very grateful. I added the line:

type = 4

to system.ini under the keyboard section. Don't know what this line means, but it was lacking. After a reboot, all my problems were solved. Thanks for trying, and I hope this helps someone else, too.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/69516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice