1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB malfunction preventing system shutdown and My Computer page fails to load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by whenigivein, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whenigivein

whenigivein Thread Starter

I own a Lenovo G530 which is running Window XP Service Pack 3. I have run into some problem which concerns the USB ports. Yesterday, I inserted a USB flash drive (pen drive) into one of the port. Since then, the My Computer page fails to load. A flash light icon appears and keeps searching for drivers and folders forever. The drivers themselves are accessible through the command prompt or through the Run interface.

After this problem occurred, I tried to shut-down the system but it hung on Saving Your Settings. I did force shutdown through the power button. After re-starting the system, the problem persists. My Computer view is stuck in the scan phase. Also, I am unable to use my USB internet data card.

How can make my computer functional again? Please advice.

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

first thing i would try is open a command prompt and type in sfc /scannow . this would allow windows to repair some minor problems. if that doesn't work, i would be suspicious of some type of infection.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What was on that USB flash drive? It might have been infected, as suggested by kanaitpro.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice