1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USb Mass Storage device is missing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Riempie, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riempie

Riempie Thread Starter

When I connect a flashdrive to the pc the pc shows that it found hardware and the hardware is installed.I can however not access the drive because it is nowhere to be seen.
    In device manager the drives are also shown and it says that it is working fine.I can click on the "safely remove hardware" button and then it stops the harddrive but there is no place I can get access to the drive.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

What is on the flash drive or is it empty?

3. Septerra

Septerra

I think I might know why. Do you have multiple Hard Drive/Optical Drives in your system? Cause if you do then it means your flash drive is trying to display itself on a drive letter that is already being taken up by one of those devices.

Make sure your flash drive is plugged in.

To change it, right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

Fine your Flash drive and change right click on it and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths". Now select a drive letter that is not being taken up by any other device and change it to that. Click ok, and then you should be able to access your flash drive now.

Cheers :)

4. Riempie

Riempie Thread Starter

I did everything as you said. The drive is there and does not have a drive letter assigned to it. I changed the drive letter to a letter that is not used. The driveletter is then shown next to the drive but it is still not visible in explorer. I restarted the machine in the hope that this will help only to find that the drive letter assigned to the drive was not there anymore. So I repeated the whole process with the same results

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Is this XP home or pro and does it have all the updates SP2 etc.

You haven't answered does it have something on it or is it empty?

When you go to Disk Management and right click on it what other choices does it give you?

6. Riempie

Riempie Thread Starter

It is XP Pro With service pack 2 . There is data in the stick that I want to access

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Understood.......

with the flash Drive plugged in

Click Start button
    Right click My Computer
    Choose Manage

On the left-hand click Disk Management

If the drive is there right click on it
    ChooseChange drive letters & paths
    Assign it a drive letter

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice