1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb microsoft optical mouse stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by secret1823, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. secret1823

secret1823 Thread Starter

my usb optical mouse was working just fine but when i switched on my laptop this morning it wasn't working anymore. the red laser is lit at the bottom of the mouse but the cursor doesn't move.

i checked the device manager and saw 2 alerts under the Human Interface Devices tab. One for HP Quick Launch Buttons and the other is for USB Human Interface Device. I presume the latter is my mouse. When i check on properties for both the alerts it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

All the driver files do seem to be in place or so I think since I haven't done any changes lately. I have already tried uninstalling both error causing devices under the Human Interface Devices tab. But when I reboot, both the devices automatically re-appear and with the yellow exclamation mark error still there. Any ideas on how to resolve this??

I'm on a HP 500 notebook running on XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

2. secret1823

the mouse itself works just fine when used on my bf's laptop. it's just plug and play.

3. secret1823

i read on some forums that it's probably a registry error. i suspect it is too. could anyone help me with this? im not too confident going into my registry editor.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/883849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice