USB Modem Slow Connects

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n1dxm

I have a new JATON USB COMMUNICATOR V90 modem installed on my computer. Computer is as follows: Shuttle AI61 motherboard, AMD Athlon 900 CPU, 256MB SDRAM. NVIDIA TNT2 PRO 32MB video card, etc. Modem connects fine but never above 33.2 KB. I have had other modems that connected faster so I know it is possible. Has anyone else had this problem with this modem and did you find a cure?? I have tried new drivers.

Hi
No personal knowledge of the Jaton but here's what their online manual for this modem has to say on the subject:

Tips for high speed connections using a V.34 or faster modem
Explain and Suggestion:
Very few people can reach a consistent 33,600 or 56K (x2 modem) bps connection. Speeds of 28,800bps or faster, require perfect, almost ISDN quality, line conditions along the entire length of the connection. However, V.34 and 33.6k modems are capable of pushing the limits of analog phone lines, commonly offering connect speeds of 21600, 24000, and ever 26400 bps or higher.
Variation in line quality are typically the cause of low connection rate. At one point or another, everyone will experience “ a bad time ” connection, and have to hand up and call again. However, if you find that you never or rarely connect at rates above 19200bps, you will need to investigate the line quality of your connections. If you encounter the same low connection rate the problem may be resulting from impairments along the lines running to the local telephone company or within your home or office. Your telephone company or a private consultant may be able to help.
This reads like the standard industry line on this subject. I never seem to get a connection over 32000 so I guess I consider it pretty normal. What sort of speeds had you been getting, at your current modems location, prior to installing this Jaton?

The online manual can be found at:

http://www.jaton.com/usa/Documents/Cv90.pdf

Its a 59 page .pdf document and takes a while to download.

Hope this helps.

n1dxm

With the Lucent Chipset WinModem that I had previously, I would almost always get 49K to 53K connects. However, that modem bit the dust and I haven't been able to get a decen connect speed from anything else that I have tried.

Thanks for the information and the prompt reply.

Carl

i find that what it say's on the connection tab is quiet often not the overall speed of the internet.

have you surfed site's that you previously been to and found it slower??

Try pinging a site/server that you may have before and see what you get & download a file and see what you download at etc if you get me.

Because i know for a fact that inbuilt modems connect at a faster rate but have a slower overall speed to my external modem (dont ask me why they just do), they have same bandwidth just higher ping.

But i am not to familiar with USB modems and why they made them acually because the COM Ports are by far fast enough to handle a dial up modems speed.

I think that rockwell external modems are the best.

But in conclusion: some modems connect faster then others but in overall speed are acually slower, so test out the speed.

Even go to a site,mmm somewhere on www.downloads.com there is a bit where you can test your net connection.

Hope that helps.

Now for something completely different!! :rolleyes:

I have a USR 2977 internal hardware modem and a USR 5686 external modem. Both are hardware modems and are supposed to be the same(from what I've read) except internal/external. The internal connects at 44k every time, the external at 48k every time. The timed downloads for the external are just slightly faster than the internal. Same computer, phone line, ISP, website, and file.

Strange, huh ?

Otto

yeah well thats what i was saying, although my internal connects faster at 52kbps and my external connects at 49kbps and my external runs noticbly faster then my internal and they are the exact same brand and everything

all my freinds notice it aswell.

Yeah, I haven't heard of an explaination for this yet, maybe quality of the circuitry inside the modem?

Australia huh. I lived in Alice Srings for a couple years back in the early 70s

Otto

n1dxm

Well, I have tried two different external modems. An ELSA 56k Microlink and an AsKey 56k.

The Elsa was a reasonably good modem and connected reasonably well.

The Askey had a Rockwell chipset and is the most aggrivating modem I have ever seen. Takes several tries to connect and connection seems to die after a bit. Have tried several drivers with limited improvement.

As far as reliability goes, the USB modem seems to be the best except for the slower connect speeds. Download throughput is lower as well.

ahh thats odd hey.

what im thinking there is the rockwell modem maybe tryign to run to fast for your phone lines and you would be getting packet loss/drop outs etc etc.

The UDB modem which connects slower would be sending the info slower so there for not creating such a traffic jam.

Otto, Alice Springs? hehe ive only been there twice, didnt like it to much though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts