1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Mouse and touchpad cause extreme FPS drop in select games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Bobert, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Bobert

Mr.Bobert Thread Starter

Alright, I'll start off by warning you that this is a real head-scratcher. I've been working on this for a couple of months on and off, and I cannot seem to even determine the cause of the problem, much less a solution. Also, apologies if my post jumps around a lot, there's a lot of stuff and I don't know how to properly organize it.

Running a Dell Vostro 1500, here's the SysInfo:
    Right, so the problem is this: In select games, moving the mouse causes an extreme FPS drop. Like, the game will visibly freeze until you stop moving the mouse. It doesn't seem to be a problem with RAM or the Video card, because as long as you're not moving the mouse, the game(s) run(s) perfectly fine with full FPS.

Two games I've noted the problem in are, Minecraft and Insaniquarium Deluxe (Wut? An ancient 2D game causes this? Obviously can't be a problem with RAM, then, right?) I understand Minecraft can be a resource hog at times, but I can run in any direction with no FPS lag at all without moving the mouse. The second I touch it, FPS just comes to a complete halt until I stop moving the mouse.

But, as I said, it's only select games. Other games work perfectly fine, like The Sims 2, Star Wars: Battlefront II, Star Wars: Jedi Knight Jedi Academy, and AoEII(Yes... I like old games). You can move the mouse around as much as you like, the FPS remains high.

Now, I've been scouring the web and found that other people have had this problem, too, in Minecraft, WoW, and a few other games. I've tried various solutions, but, obviously since I'm posting in here, nothing has yet to work. The USB mouse is plugged directly into the laptop, and the lag remains no matter which of the four ports it's plugged into. Drivers are all up-to-date, did a clean XP install a couple months back (was actually a last-ditch effort to fix this problem, and obviously it did not work.) The laptop touchpad itself also causes the same lag, so it (probably) isn't an issue with the USB ports themselves... I'm really hoping the hardware itself isn't failing.

I can't think of anything else, but if I missed something, ask away.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1096025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice