1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Mouse is not working, yet keyboard is working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rancifer, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rancifer

Rancifer Thread Starter

I just recently reinstalled Windows XP on my computer, my USB keyboard is working fine, but my mouse is not working, I tried it in all the USB ports for it and I am getting no response, I am getting a curser on screen but no movement nor am I able to click.

2. Sponsor

3. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Is this a custom made pc or OEM like Dell or HP ? Did you restart the pc after switching usb ports ?

4. puppypaws

puppypaws

Unplug the mouse from the USB port, turn the computer off for 1 minute, turn the computer on and let it reboot completely, plug the mouse into a USB port. The computer is not recognizing the mouse, if this procedure does not work, unplug the mouse, switch the computer off for 1 minute, turn the computer on and when you see the first sign of life on the screen plug the mouse into a port. Let me know if this works?

5. Rancifer

Rancifer Thread Starter

Ah it is an OEM by Dell by the way, and I'll try the 1 minute restart, i'll let you know how it goes.

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

In your BIOS Setup you might have to enable the setting for USB Mouse- I see some systems have separate USB Keyboard, USB Mouse, and Legacy USB items in the BIOS, not all do, but you need to check.

If USB items are all enabled, then something else is wrong. Sometimes, clearing the CMOS or BIOS settings or setting to Default can fix these errors..... but, you have to know how to re-set the needed settings afterward.

What I advise if you change anything in the BIOS, make darn sure you write down each one Before vs. After for any entries that are changed. If you set the defaults, at the very least you will have to change the time and date to the present

Another trick is to remove the Mouse from the Device Manager and let it reinstall....

7. Rancifer

Rancifer Thread Starter

tried the rebooting method, didn't get much results from it, I might have to double check the bios to see if it is enabled.

8. puppypaws

puppypaws

Plug something else like a scanner or camera into a USB port and see if it is recognized.

9. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  10. Rancifer

Rancifer Thread Starter

Yeah, other USB devices are recognized.

11. puppypaws

puppypaws

There is a possibility you mouse has gone bad, I recommend you get a wireless mouse so as to not be bothered with a wire to drag around.

12. Rancifer

Rancifer Thread Starter

The mouse works, I can use it on another computer with linux installed perfectly fine.

13. puppypaws

puppypaws

You did not mention that or I did not see it. The mouse was working perfectly on this computer before you did the reinstall, yes? Did you wipe the hard-drive completely clean or do a repair?

14. Rancifer

Rancifer Thread Starter

Yeah, it was a clean wipe, reinstall of windows xp

15. puppypaws

puppypaws

Go to start, my computer, view system information, then open device mananger and see if there is a mouse showing up.

16. Rancifer

Rancifer Thread Starter

back, yes the mouse is showing up in the device manager and still nothing, I even tried different mouses, and non of them work either.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice