1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb Mouse & Keyboard non-functioning due to Drivermax 'update' of drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by the_donn, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the_donn

the_donn Thread Starter

On a magazine recommendation I installed DriverMax. I ran it and selected one option to update a microsoft t selected installing an
    updated mouse driver. I have win XP SP3. I also have a Microsoft
    Wireless USB keyboard and mouse set.

What has happened is that the
    wireless kb and mouse is now inoperative - but works during boot
    sequence (I have an Asus P6TD mobo and can select pre-boot options for
    this board via mouse. In fact NO USB mouse works after boot sequence is
    complete).

The frustration I have is I cannot access the DriverMax program through the keyboard only commands because it only responds to mouse clicks. I had wanted to try to fix the errors by rolling back a driver within DriverMax because the program only allows mouse input and I cannot use any mouse... ANY help you can offer would be gratefully accepted.

I figure that the only way to proceed from here is to reinstall Windows XP? Having removed all kb and mouse drivers from the hardware list a couple of times; downloaded the latest Microsoft drivers/software for the usb wireless keyboard etc etc I cannot make a dent in the behaviour...This as you might guess is likely to be a pain in the proverbial to maintain all my software in working order and to re-upgrade to SP3.

2. 12tipp12

12tipp12

Hi, have you tried booting in safe mode and either roll back from within the mouse/keyboard properties in control panel or system restore.

Bill

3. the_donn

the_donn Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have.

4. huggie54

huggie54

have you got a spare keyboard and mouse,could you try one from a mate

5. the_donn

the_donn Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks. The kb and mouse are usb. They work happily on the laptop (the computer I am wirting this from). I have the potential to use the spare ps2 kb connected via the ps2 port or the spare ps2 mouse via the ps2 port as the motherboard has only one ps2 port - for either mouse or kb. But only one at a time...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869836