1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved USB Mouse & Keyboard slow to load Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by HXP, Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HXP

HXP Thread Starter

Problem - following a Windows 10 upgrade ( I think that was what caused it ) the following happens

Machine boots in to BIOS keyboard & Mouse power up ( lights in both come on )
    Windows starts to load
    Lights go out
    Machine boots in to windows
    Keyboard & mose dead
    Keyboard & mouse become live after about 90 seconds.
    Machine used to boot up from SSD very quickly now comparatively long delay waiting for USB to load.

Windows 10

Operating System: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
    DirectX version: 12.0
    GPU processor: GeForce GTX 980
    Driver version: 391.35
    Direct3D API version: 12
    Direct3D feature level: 12_1
    CUDA Cores: 2048
    Core clock: 1152 MHz
    Memory data rate: 7010 MHz
    Memory interface: 256-bit
    Memory bandwidth: 224.32 GB/s
    Total available graphics memory: 8163 MB
    Dedicated video memory: 4096 MB GDDR5
    System video memory: 0 MB
    Shared system memory: 4067 MB
    Video BIOS version: 84.04.2F.00.18
    IRQ: Not used
    Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen3
    Intel Core i5 4690K Haswell Refresh Processor 3.50 GHz (Overclocked to up to 4.3GHz)
    Asus Z97-A Motherboard - Haswell CPU only

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

That is from the top of the windows 10 forum, where you started this topic, although I realise you have provided some detail from system information, please provide the requested report, as that contains details you have not proivided

Also please confirm the Antivirus in use and the make and model of the mouse and keyboard and how connected - I do realise you have said USB loading delay, please confirm both usb and what other usb devices are connected please.

3. HXP

HXP Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for taking a look after 90 seconds the mouse and keyboard work almost as if it is loading the drivers last ( not that I really know much in that area ). Seems I think to relate back to a windows upgrade

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190915172116.000000+000
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
    Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (110 GB Free); D: 1863 GB (569 GB Free); E: 931 GB (141 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-A, ver Rev 1.xx, s/n 140525628203087
    System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
    Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

Corsair Keyboard K40
    Asus Alcor mouse

In device mamager

Keyboard shows

Device HID\VID_1B1C&PID_1B0E&MI_00\7&331b6aab&0&0000 was migrated.
    Last Device Instance Id: HID\VID_1B1C&PID_1B0E&MI_00\7&331b6aab&0&0000
    Class Guid: {4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0x0
    Present: true

Mouse shows

Device HID\VID_2516&PID_002D\7&e853197&0&0000 was configured.

Driver Name: msmouse.inf
    Class Guid: {4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Driver Date: 06/21/2006
    Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Section: HID_Mouse_Inst.NT
    Driver Rank: 0xFF1003
    Matching Device Id: HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_MOUSE
    Outranked Drivers: input.inf:HID_DEVICE:00FF1005
    Device Updated: false
    Parent Device: USB\VID_2516&PID_002D\6&a56c187&0&1

4. HXP

HXP Thread Starter

5. Macboatmaster

please answer that aspect

There is a possibility and I can put it no stronger than that, that the cause of the delay is Norton
    Presuming you have the means to reinstall Norton
    I recommend you uninstall it and use the included Windows Defender whilst testing
    IF I am correct and you prefer Norton then you can refer the issue to Norton Support.

That said I am unsure as to why you should have more than the one entry for the K40 in each category of device manager

CLOSE NORTON
    Go Settings
    Apps
    Uninstall from there
    Uninstall from the Settings page
    • Select the Start button, then select Settings > Apps > Apps & features. Or just click the shortcut link at the bottom of this article.
    • Select the app you want to remove, and then select Uninstall.

See here
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028054/windows-10-repair-or-remove-programs

FULLY SHUTDOWN as here
    Step 1: Open Start menu, select Power button.

Step 2: Press and hold the Shift key on keyboard, while clicking on Shut down, and then release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown.
    REBOOT and run the Norton uninstall tool under the heading REMOVE only
    https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881
    FULL shutdown and reboot
    Check Defender is now turned on and real time protection etc.

TEST the system

Although the reason is to establish the cause of your problem, the system as a whole will run better and smoother with Defender, than it will with Norton. THAT is NOT to single out Norton, most if not all third party AV programs, do not provide 100% compatibility with 10 - 100% of the time.

6. HXP

HXP Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks I will uninstall Norton but do not feel comfortable running the system without it.

Will test and advise - thanks for your help.

7. HXP

HXP Thread Starter

Removing Norton did not fix the issue so I have reinstalled. Not sure what else can be done - thanks for your help

8. Macboatmaster

I cannot understand why there are TWO entries for the same keyboard in device manager under HIDs and two entries under keyboards
    I suggest you uninstall the devices listed more than once, by right click - uninstall device and then on the window that opens, click to check uninstall driver software
    so that you have just the one entry
    Then having done that fully shut down
    Step 1: Open Start menu, select Power button.

Step 2: Press and hold the Shift key on keyboard, while clicking on Shut down, and then release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown.

and then reboot
    see what then happens, after the reboot and recheck device manager for multiple entries.

You may find this helpful
    https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=155895

of course part of the problem appears to be the lack of total compatibility of that keyboard with windows 10.
    In fact Corsair now list it as a legacy device.
    https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034835432?input_string=raptor+k40+firmware/software

and although here it was stated that the K40 would work with 10 that was back in 2015
    https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/blog/windows_10_compatibility

and it does not mean that it will on the latest 10 version by any means.

That all said from the aspect of troubleshooting this, you have been a little too quick to reinstall Norton.
    Please do not think I am saying that is wrong. It is simply that I am not prepared to try and troubleshoot this problem, whilst Norton is installed. My experience tells me, that trying to do so is a lost cause.

That, it is important to state is not something peculiar to Norton, it applies IMHO to any third party AV/Malware app, that exercises some manner of control over the boot process of windows 10

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  9. HXP

HXP Thread Starter

Thanks for your help - it is difficult to know if running a PC unprotected for a period of time without Norton is wise - I do all my banking online etc and use a VPN which is only active when I bank. I will try uninstalling the devices and then see how that goes. If it does not fix I will just live with until I gather enough courage to reinstall windows. My machine was windows 7 and I took the free upgrade path - if I use the windows reinstall do you know if that puts windows 10 back on my machine or windows 7 - thanks again

10. Macboatmaster

But you were not running it unprotected as you were using the included Microsoft Defender which is as I said totally compatible with 10 and is free and highly rated in the latest independent reviews

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/microsoft-windows-defender

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3434097/why-you-can-stop-paying-for-antivirus-software.html

If you decide to run with it - Defender - at least while we try and solve your problem then when it is turned on go to this link
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/comprehensive-security
    and click the - open defender security centre to see how wide ranging it is now is

It has both cloud based protection for the latest protection
    https://www.howtogeek.com/323537/ho...e-submission-and-cloud-based-protection-work/

and additionally is based not only on signature based detections but also on heuristic
    https://www.cynet.com/blog/a-guide-to-malware-detection-techniques-av-ngav-and-beyond/

as indeed are most if not all reputable AV apps

In answer to the question regarding 7, there is no need to consider that as you can do an in house repair install of 10
    Everything will remain, as is now.
    Windows it self will be completely reinstalled
    Whether it would solve the problem I do not know
    What you go back to depends on if the recovery partition usually on D is still there from the factory, if it is you go back to 7. However be aware that is 7 as was installed when the computer was new, and even then remember that 7 goes end of life in 15 days time on 14 January 2020.
    So you certainly do not want to consider going back to 7

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    SarahSims likes this.
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1237314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice