1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb network adapter blocking internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pcornall, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcornall

pcornall Thread Starter

Until just the other day, my pc was accessing the net through a Belkin wireless G network adapter linked to my flatmate's Belkin router (connected to his pc). Everything worked fine and I could access the internet. However, a couple of days ago I decided to wipe my pc and reinstall windows as I had accumulated a lot of superflous stuff on my harddrive. Once this was done the first thing I did was to reinstall the wireless network adapter, so I put in the disk, installed and connected. However, now I'm unable to access the internet. The adapter will on most occassions connect to my flatmate's network and an icon in the system tray shows two computers connected with good connection. But when I go to IE I get nothing. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times - on a couple of occassions I did actually manage to get the internet when I tried straight after installing, but whenever this happens it only lasts for about 2 minutes before I get the page cannot be displayed constantly.

Also, interestingly the icon in the system tray is different to how it used to be pre-format - previously it would be a little picture of one computer with three semi-circles radiating out from it, but now it's the two computers connected.

I've tried phoning the Belkin customer support line several times, but whenever I have got through all they've been able to do it go through a script and then say someone with more expertise will call me back (but they never do).

Clearly as it all worked fine a few days ago it is likely that the problem is going to be some kind of configuration problem, but I don't have a clue what it could be. Therefore if anyone has any suggestions on what the problem could be I'd be very grateful to hear.

Many thanks in advance.

2. jackdw

jackdw

The computer with 3 semi circles is wireless...
    The two computers are wired in...

Are you sure you connected the wireless? Security etc..

3. pcornall

pcornall Thread Starter

Yep - the only way I am connected is via wireless. There is no other connection other than via the wireless adapter to my flatmate's pc.

There are no obvious security issues - I'm not running a firewall and I've checked that the network connection settings and made sure the tickbox is not checked where it says about windows firewall protection being on.

4. jackdw

jackdw

Disable your Local Area Connection (The ethernet) in network connections, right click, disable.

Is your computer getting an IP address?
    Have you tried right-click, repair on the wireless connection in network connections?

5. pcornall

pcornall Thread Starter

Yeah - I've already tried repair, but it gives me a message about not being able to obtain an IP address and to contact the network administrator(!).

It seems really weird that it's coming up as though I'm connected through a wired network rather than a wireless one in the system tray....

6. jackdw

jackdw

Have you tried new drivers from the website and have you ran all windows update updated?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice