1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Network?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCM1519, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I have two computers. One is my old Pentium III with a lot of IDE hard drive space and my new Pentium 4 computer. I would like to copy data from the old computer to the new one and then periodically be able to use both at the same time.

I know nothing about networks but have seen USB networks available.

Would these USB networks allow two computers to network without a lot of wiring and other hardware?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Easiest way to do it is with ethernet cards and crossover cables...usb cable for transfer (not really any such thing as usb network) is very expensive and very slow.

3. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Rich-M

Thanks for the response. Those cables are really cheap at Newegg. Now I will just have to learn what to do with them.

Your reply was very helpful.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I agree with Rich, Ethernet was designed for networking, and it the best way to do this task. A crossover cable shouldn't cost more than $5-6, and if you need a NIC in one of the machine, it's also less than $10. The special USB link cable will cost at least that much anyway.

5. onsite

onsite

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

7. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

I have ethernet cards in both machines but the cable internet connection will use one of them. I could disconnect when connecting the machines though.

It would be nice to be able to use the internet on both machines but when I look at routers and all the other equipment that I don't understand but appears to be necessary, it wouldn't be worth spending a couple hundred dollars on it.

Would I need to add another ethernet card in order to be able to share the cable internet connection.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You have to be looking at the wrong routers -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2050400028+4093&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=28

thats only if you want to go as cheap as under 25$'s. Seriously though 3 straight through network cables and any router and you should be good to go in MOST soho setups.

9. onsite

onsite

If you are going to use Broadband I would get a router with NAT and SPI

10. JohnWill

11. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for your help. Looks like I might go for that $10 deal at newegg. Hope it comes with instructions because I know less than nothing about networking.

Is the broadband router the only thing besides cables that I will need to buy. In reading an XP book last night, it sounded like I would need at least one router and some other box plus cables so then I figured that the cost would be more that it would be worth to me. This way, if all I need is a router like this and some cables, I'm going for it.

One last question. Would I be better off to spend $9 more and get what appears to be a faster router?

Thanks again for the replies and leads.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need the router and one additonal ethernet cable, you already have one from the cable modem and one will come with the router. You don't need anything else, although there might be one thign to configure on the router.

13. JohnWill

The router comes with a cable. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice