1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb networking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by charlie666k, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie666k

charlie666k Thread Starter

Ive got a usb cable modem and was wondering is there a way to share it between two computers using usb cables and if there is what do i need to buy and do both of the computers have to be on so i can use the external modem?/
    is it possible to plug in the male usb from the modem in to a switch box and have two usb cables coming out going into the two computers??

2. frenat

frenat

No. The only way to share access with a USB modem is to have another network card on the computer it is going into then running it as a server with Internet Connection Sharing or a proxy server. If you check your modem though you may find that it has the option of using ethernet instead (some of them do). In that case you could use the ethernet connection and run it through a router then split to as many computers as you would like.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is not a way to "T" the USB and share the cable modem. The best bet is to use Ethernet and a broadband router. If you are stuck with a USB only cable modem, I'd suggest ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice