1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB not recognized after months of use

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by codalafin, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. codalafin

codalafin Thread Starter

I have a simple 8 GB USB storage drive (dane-elec, looks just like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tMIDsGrAL._AA260_.jpg) and have been using it for a long time now. Today I lent it to my friend so he could give me some little game he wanted to share. He put the file on the drive then gave it back to me, and the trouble started. When I put the drive in my computer it said "USB Drive Not Recognized."
    I am unable to work around this no matter what I try. My computer is XP and my friend's is 7. I have tried it on both of these and two other XP computers, same error on all of them. All of these I know work using other USB devices, so it is this driver that's the problem. I have tried everything I can think of. The computer's troubleshooting was where I started. I have tried re-enabling it and have uninstalled the driver, though now it is not letting me reinstall, as it doesn't recognize it as what it is in the first place.
    After all of this, it is still messed up. I am guessing whatever file my friend gave me got corrupted somehow, but I have never heard of a corrupted file causing this. I know this wasn't his fault, at least purposely. I have looked all over the net, wasting 2 hours trying to find a solution. I hope someone here has one.

2. timmy1986

timmy1986 Banned

make sure you have the correct driver and install it. be sure it is enabled in the bios. delete whatever file is on it because it is corrupted with a virus.

3. codalafin

codalafin Thread Starter

Umm, none of that is possible; I have checked them all. I cannot install it again because it won't let me, it is and forever has been enabled, and I cannot get to the file because my computer doesn't even know it's a storage device to begin with. I know it isn't a defective storage device since I've had it for months.

4. codalafin

codalafin Thread Starter

I am still having this problem. I need my USB drive fixed as soon as possible. Please, someone help. I've tried everything I can think of and have searched for hours for a solution.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you access the drive on the Win 7 machine?

"Had it for months" may be the problem. These things have very short lifespans compared to mechanical drives, so it is highly possible that it just died of old age.

If you can access it on any other machine, try repartitioning and reformatting it with HP USB Disk Format Tool.

If you have not done so recently, it may be time to clean out all the past USB devices from your machine, too:

USB Device Cleanup

6. Megabite

Megabite

Take a look in Disk Management and see if something is listed there.

Go Start>>right click on My Computer>>Choose Manage

Then on the left side click on Disk Management

As it is not recognised on a couple of PCs the USB drive maybe faulty.

7. codalafin

codalafin Thread Starter

No, it doesn't work on the Windows 7. It hasn't worked on any computer I've tried, including computers I know have never had USB devices before other than the mouse and keyboard. I have checked the Disk Management function on each of these computers. It doesn't come up on them, I'm guessing because the computer can't even recognize it as a disk drive.
    USB device cleanup, I have never heard of. I shall try this and see...
    I have never heard of USB devices just dying. I have had several USB storage drives, but awkwardly enough most have been lost, which makes this one the only one I have at the moment. I do have many many SD cards though (don't know how I haven't lost one of those yet) and those work on this computer with a USB adapter.

8. Megabite

Megabite

My guess it is toast......

9. codalafin

codalafin Thread Starter

...seriously, I don't know the problem. I just did that USB cleanup thing (about 10-15 devices cleared out) and it still doesn't work. The only things I didn't remove from that list was my USB WiFi adapter and my mouse+keyboard, but the rest of them were all USB storage devices of some sort. I put in my multi-card reader and have reinstalled it. It works perfectly fine.
    There has to be some way to fix my device. I mean, I've never known for a device to just stop working without reason. I have never had this happen before, and am completely stumped for a cause.

10. Megabite

Megabite

The cause can be old age as suggested and or a corrupt file or Virus.....what size was it?

11. codalafin

codalafin Thread Starter

The files my friend gave me were less than 500 KB. He checked things and made sure that they were fully downloaded before he gave the drive back to me. Everything was normal. He has done this before, giving me small games and stuff. There was nothing special this time to have this happen.
    The game works perfectly on his computer at this time. I will probably get a copy of it from him again once I get a replacement disk drive, though if I ever get this USB disk fixed I might be hesitant about it.
    I don't know how 'old age' would have caused it. This USB drive is technically the newest of all the devices I have, and none of them have ever had this happen to them.

12. Megabite

Megabite

How big was the USB drive?.....and if a file is important then always double back it up......Usb drives can go wrong just like everything else.

13. codalafin

codalafin Thread Starter

The drive can store 8GB of data, and I know I had not used even half that space. I know backup files are important, though some of those files didn't have backups, none of it was of any extreme value. The problem is that this is my only USB drive, and I won't be able to get another until the weekend comes. If I'm snowed in I won't be able to do that either. I will need this drive to use tomorrow, or I am going to have to borrow someone else's.

14. Megabite

Megabite

What make is it?

15. codalafin

codalafin Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/968290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice