1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB not recognizing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bankai, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bankai

bankai Thread Starter

I just bought a seagate 300 GB external HD and it was working well for the past two weeks until now. My computer does not recognize it at all. Under the safely remove hardware, I don't see it show up at all. I tried my other external HD and it work out fine. I am using window xp and service pack 2. I'm not sure wat the problem also. I tried rebooting and also my comp does not recognize it. I also tried on my friend's comp and it didn't work also.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, since it doesn't work on multiple computers, it's clear the failure is probably something about the drive.

Does the drive spin up when you turn it on? When you connect the USB, do you see anything in Device Manager under USB Controllers for the drive? How about any error messages? Have you tried a new USB cable?

If all else fails, send it back for warranty replacement.

3. bankai

bankai Thread Starter

The drive is spinning, but whenever i tried to go the device manager, and click on the drive it just would not open, and my comp would just crash. I haven't tried on different USB cables yet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/440602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice