USB Not Working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

simpsoholic

Just a few days ago my USB stopped working. Someone else was using my computer for a while, mabye that effected it. Anyway...

I have a few USB devices such as my mp3 player, sound card (external), camera, phone and my memory key.

WHen i connect a device like my mp3 player, windows will NOT detect it. ALso when i plug in my sound, the power light doesnt come on. (its usb powered).

I would really like to know a solution to this.

I run Windows XP SP2 on my AMD XP 2100+ 1.7Ghz
I did not buy this computer from a retailer, i put it together myself, so no warranty.

Good Evening simpsoholic, regrettably your description is indicative of a possible damaged motherboard, possibly in line with plugging some defective device into one of the USBs.
The reason I suggest this is due to the lack of power indication on your devices.
Try the rear USB and confirm there is no operation.
If your machine appears to operate properly apart from that I would reccommend obtaining a USB-2 PCI card. Preferably with four rear sockets and a suitable pin header or socket which would connect to your front case sockets if you have them.
Others may have different ideas.
Cheers, qldit.

simpsoholic

I dont have any front USB ports, but i do have a USB PCI card in the back with 4 ports. None work.

Would reinstalling windows xp be a possible fix? It is easy to do and i have done a fresh backup.

EDIT: Had a look at the BIOS and found something that might be effecting it.
Tada, problem solved. Sorry for being so...dumb.
But thank you for your help

G'day, I doubt it, your description indicates a power fail which is a hard circuit fail type of problem.
If you are using a card, try reseating it. (make sure the power plug is removed from the machine whan you do this.
If you are lucky it will be a component on that card that has failed.
Hopefully it is not the motherboard.
If you can try that card in another machine will prove it.
Sorry to be negative, qldit.

Well that is good news, that must be a magical BIOS you have there.
Well done, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online