Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USB numbers?

904 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
My Sandisk reader for my camera went bonkers. Now I want to buy another one cause the camera is still good. Anyway, It says it takes a 2.0 usb port, which I know I don't have if its more than 4 yrs old. Anyway, how can you tell what your usb port number is? I have just the regular usb ports that come with the computer, it says its backwards compatable and works with the 1.1 usb port number.????????????? Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

#2 ·
If your computer is 4 years old it probbaly only has USB1.1 ports. You can buy a PCI USB 2.0 card like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124007 and then you'll have 4 USB 2.0 ports.

If its newer then go to Device Manager and see if under the USB section it says USB 2.0 or Enhanced USB, if it says either then you have USB 2.0.

If its the HP Pavilion 760n then you only have USB1.1.

#4 ·
thanks for the quick response. Don't really worry about speed, just getting the pictures off the smartmedia card. The sandisk says it uses 2.0 but will work on 1.1. Thanks for the info, computer is too old to be putting things in it right now. Besides, am having lots of other problems being solved also. Again, thanks.

#5 ·
I'm almost certain it'll work with USB 1.1. I have a number of FLASH readers in several formats, they all work on USB 1.1 or 2.0, just a lot faster on 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.