1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB or Mobo problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmc, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

This has come up relatively suddenly. I have an ASUS K8V Deluxe motherboard, runs Windows 2000 Pro. System has been working fine...

About a week ago, the system wouldn't reset. It'd go to a black screen with a cursor a few lines down, and stick there. No HD noise. Powered down, back up, system has been running fine (up 24/7) since then.

So today, I update a piece of software, restart, and get the cursor. Restart again, same. So I powered down, checked a few connections in the case (SATA and HD power mainly), start up - and lonely cursor.

Fine. So I try to get into safe mode. Doesn't happen. hmmm. Goes through the full BIOS boot, and hangs right when Windows would start. Tried again, same. Tried again, this time trying to get into the BIOS. pound on DEL till my finger's sore, finally goes to the BIOS right at the end of boot... and no keyboard (it's USB). Four letter words are said. Tried swapping to a different USB port - nothing. Reboot. Can't even get into the BIOS now.

USB. Ok. So I unplug everything not needed, with the keyboard plugged directly into the mobo's USB ports (as opposed to the USB PCI card it was on before), reboot, get Windows (eureka!) but... no keyboard.

Move the keyboard USB back down to the PCI card, and now it works.

So, it seems I have a bad USB port? It may have always been marginal, I've always had little finicky USB problems - mainly that the BIOS would hang on USB device recognition...

Does this sound like a manifestation of the bad cap issue? The board was likely built during that timeframe...

Does this sound like my mobo's going out? Or is there something else going on that escapes me at the moment? I'm not quite ready yet to replace my mobo, since when I do that I'm going to have to replace the CPU (want dual core), memory (need more), video (it's AGP) and PCI cards (maybe) as well...

Oh, and as of just now, my wireless USB mouse cursor is beginning to be erratic too. Maybe I should hie myself off to newegg.com now...

Any help appreciated!

Also taking suggestions on my next mobo - gotta be AMD and dual-core at a minimum.

jmc

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    You can open it up to check for bad caps.

There is also a USB port fix for Windows (qldit and JohnWill recommends it often, I just can't think of it right now). But seeing as it is problematic at the BIOS, too, this may not be as great a help.

I'll go and look for it for you in any case. Back soon.

3. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Direct from JohnWill:

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

PS, As I mentioned in the previous post, because the problem is with the BIOS as well, this fix may not be as effective as it normally is. But it's worth a shot...:eek:

4. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Johnwill:

I'll try this as soon as my replacement keyboard comes in. I had a ps/2 Keytronic Lifetime Designer for 10 years, absolutely loved it, until I murdered it with about a cup of water (and I tried many times to fix it, but 4 keys are dead) ... This is what I got to replace it, and I hate it. I discovered Keytronic still sells the LT Designer, and thus one's on it's way. Hopefully it is still PS/2... the only "necessary" USB device I have is a mouse. I might be able to do this anyway without it, I'm pretty familiar with keyboard shortcuts...

Anyway. I'll try your method (I may have actually done something like this in the past) when my new keyboard comes in.

Oh, and I did visually check for bad caps, didn't find anything but my understanding is damage isn't always visible?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You may have a failing board and or power supply, however I would do some testing first.
    1 Disconnect ALL drives both optical and hd
    2 Pull any pci cards out; make sure you leave in your video card
    3 Connect just a ps2 type keyboard to the mb
    4 Now power up and see if you can repeatedly enter the bios and get a display. If you can, it points at a problem with either a usb device, the usb card, or a hd / optical drive problem. Replace these one at a time until you find the problem.

If you cannot enter the bios or have problems, that points at a mb or power supply problem.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I just can't help but wonder what your psu is and maybe it is overtaxxed as you have a lot of devices on there and it is the one thing you failed to mention in your specs.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice