1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB over-current detected/comp wont turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maxxbandit, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maxxbandit

Maxxbandit Thread Starter

Hi, i just registered to this site, and have a ?

i have a ASUS M3N78 PRO M/B, was working fine and the other day i turned my comp. on and it said USB Over-current detected....shutdown in 15 sec, now it just doesnt turn on at all, i dont know much about the internals of a computer and would really appreciate help/advice. right now the comp doesnt turn on, the green indicator light on my M/B lights up when the power switch is on, but when i go to boot up the comp. my led fan lights flash and does nothing, and the green indicator goes dim.

thanks in advance

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With system OFF, do the following;

1 Disconnect any usb device; ie printer, scanner, hub, etc
    2 Clear RTC or cmos using the jumper. For detailed instructions regarding clearing RTC, read your manual.
    3 After replacing the clear jumper, power ON the system [all usb devices still disconnected]
    4 If you get a post display and the system boots, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed usb device.
    5 If you do not get a display, it is either a failed pw supply or a failed mb. To test, swap in a known good pw supply.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I assume you have not updated the bios and no new usb devices have been connected.

5. Maxxbandit

Maxxbandit Thread Starter

i got it back on now, disconnected alot of wires and plugged them back in, still didnt work, then unplugged the USB i have in the front of the tower and it booted up w/o problems, i havent checked the post untill now, but i would like to thank u guys for the input

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice