1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb over current detected ----> motherboard now dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tho121, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tho121

tho121 Thread Starter

Originally I boot my computer up to find that I have a USB over current detected error on my P5N32e SLI. I unplug everything and tried again but still no luck. Then I turn the power supply switch off and on and now the motherboard wont turn on. The green light that usually turns on when the power supply is on cant be turned on. My computer cant boot. Please help!

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the EXACT make and model of your power supply?

You might try unplugging the power supply from the source of power, let it sit for a couple of minutes, plug it back into the source of power source and see if the machine will start.

If the machine fails to start, you should take it to a repairer who can test the power supply and if it is defective they can "jump" a known good power supply to the motherboard and see if the motherboardboard is still operable.

At times when the power supply fails, it may destroy other components, the motherboard being the component that is most often destroyed.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The usb overcurrent msg is common on asus boards. Usually a bios update fixes that problem. Do what win2kpro posted regarding your pw supply; hopefully you will be able to get your system to boot. If you can get a hold of a known good pw supply, you can swap that in to test as well.

In addition check the asus site for any bios updates that address the usb issue.

FWIW I am NOT a fan of third party chipset boards ie nvidia, sis, or via. When you build an intel system, the only mb to use is a quality board using an intel chipset. When you build an amd system, you use a quality board using an amd chipset. Using third party chipsets adds an additional layer of complexity to your build.

4. tho121

tho121 Thread Starter

Apparently the power supply (antec trio power 650W) stopped working for some reason. Looked inside and tested it using a voltmeter and nothing was coming out of it. However, it looks completely fine. Maybe the converter died or something. Going to buy a corsair 650W.

I don't understand what you mean by chipset. Are you saying the P5N-32e SLI i have isn't ideal for my E6750?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Another failed antec. I no longer recommend antecs for this reason. Good choice on the corsair pw supply. Once you use a corsair, you will be impressed by the unit and how it is packaged, quality of finish, etc.
    Exactly. That mb uses a nvidia chipset rather than an intel chipset. Remember this is just my opinion however for stability and ease of use, you use a quality board with an intel chipset for an intel build and a quality board with an amd chipset for an amd build.

6. tho121

tho121 Thread Starter

I have plugged in the new PSU (Corsair 650W) and now I get a blinking green light on my motherboard. Still no boot!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/938159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice