1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Over Current Status Detected, Computer Will Shut Down in 15 Seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lavatrax, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lavatrax

Lavatrax Thread Starter

So there are a few threads about this, but I wanted to run my scenario by someone.

Recently the ASUS P5SD1 motherboard failed in my Fujitsu Scaleo P desktop.
    It's a few years old now so the nearest good value (read cheap!) replacement I could find was the ASUS P5KPL which I ordered with a new pair of 2GB Kingston DIMMS to replace the now defunct PC3200 stuff on the old board.

The installation seemed to go well initially after reactivating XP with Microsoft I reinstalled the Wifi card and ATI Radeon X550 graphics card.

Then the PC would no longer boot showing the USB over current message.

I read a few threads one of which suggested removing the graphics card and this seems to have worked.

My question is WHY!

Why should the graphics card cause a USB over current problem??
    The only USB devices attached are a mouse and keyboard, and with the graphics card disconnected they work fine.

I suppose I can stick with the onboard graphics of the new mobo, but it seems a shame not to use the Radeon card if I have it.

Thanks.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
  3. Lavatrax

Lavatrax Thread Starter

Thanks Gr3iz, I hadn't seen that particular thread, but it mentions most of the things I've already tried.

One thing I'm not sure of though, is that a lot of the threads mention a missing USB Power jumper being the cause of the problem. I've been through the board manual and inspected the board and I can't even see any pins where a jumper might be required.

Is it likely that some boards wouldn't have the jumpers?

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It is possible. And this thread is from a couple of years ago, perhaps things have changed. I was just hoping it might spark something for you.

Have you disconnected any cable-based USB ports from the motherboard? That is, not the ones on the rear panel, but those connected via cable, like front-panel jacks connected via cable to motherboard connectors.

Have you got a multimeter? With power OFF, check for very low resistance from +5v to ground on the rear connectors. That would be between the outermost contacts in the connector. I just checked an old Dell motherboard we've got here and I read open using the 200 ohm scale. Note, too, that it appears to be a floating ground, that is the ground pin does not appear to be connected to the chassis ground.

It's pretty difficult to get the probes on the pins without shorting to the metal housing. That's why I resorted to a motherboard out of a system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/866141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice