1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Usb Over Current Status Detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DangerousKitten, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DangerousKitten

DangerousKitten Thread Starter

First of all, I have a 64 bit windows 7 that has been running fine for about a year and a half until now. Due to the nature of the problem, I am not able to run SysInfo to tell many more details.
    When I turn on my computer, it almost finishes loading through the bios when I get an error which says "Usb Over Current Status Detected. Computer will shut down in 15 seconds." I cannot get to the setup menu.
    I have tried:
    adding more ram, remove all but one stick of ram, unplugging everything plugged into my usb ports, unplugging every usb port from the motherboard, resetting the date/time jumper, reseting the cmos, updating motherboard drivers, and updating the bios.
    The weird part is, everything that I has tried has worked temporarily. Most of these solutions have allowed me to start up my computer and everything works for a few hours, but then the computer get the blue screen and when I start it up again, the same error happens. I have seen plenty of other people with this issue and I have tried every solution that they have done to fix it, but they have not worked.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you updated the bios on the board?

Did you by chance move the system and the problem started after the move?

Quite often this msg on asus boards comes from having the board "creep" and part of the IO shield ends up shorting a usb port on the back of the system.

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Maybe, but since the problem is intermittent, I think the motherboard is failing.

4. DangerousKitten

I moved my system on a Friday and it worked all weekend. It stopped working on Sunday, right before I moved it again. Maybe that caused it, since I move my computer fairly often. How would I fix this?

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Test the power supply if you have a power supply tester, if you don't have a tester take the tower into a shop and have the power supply tested.

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Again, I'm going to say that I think the motherboard is failing, and the voltage regulation circuit is bad. Find a reliable local tech and have him check the machine.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

My first 3 thoughts;
    (1) Power Supply
    (2) VRM
    (3) Capacitors

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In addition I would fit a new CMOS battery.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It may well be a failing pw supply and or board however asus boards seem pretty prone to this issue. The IO plate shorts one of the usb ports and causes the problem.

As a test before you buy any parts, look at the back of the case. Do you have anything very close to a usb port? If you do not see anything open the case; take a screwdriver and loosen all of the screws that hold in the mb a turn or two. Move it around slightly and retest with the screws still slightly loose. If it works fine like that, shutdown and snug up the screws. If not, then start swapping parts ie pw supply, etc.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I should have added make sure the system is OFF when you open the case and loosen the screws/reposition the board.

11. andrewmp

andrewmp

As someone who's just encountered this problem last night upgrading an old computer with RAM, it's the 4th stick of RAM that is causing a problem - there's nothing wrong with your computer or the RAM, you don't need to loosen the screws, unplug USB devcies, etc.

I haven't tried the solutions yet but you should downgrade the BIOS to version 1014. I've found just using 3 sticks of RAM in the meantime will give you no problems.

Hope that helps.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am wondering how you known it works???

13. DangerousKitten

That makes a lot of sense. I will try that next, thanks.

14. DangerousKitten

I was looking at my motherboard and noticed that only half of the screws holding my motherboard in place were actually there. Apparently, ibuypower.com didn't screw it in completely. Could this have caused the issue?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes since the problem started after you moved it. Get some screws and properly install the board. Note do not just install and tighten; first loosen all existing screws. Now install the missing ones. Snug each one up; done. Remember you are tightening up against a pcb so just sung; not tightened as tight as you can get them. A good rule of thumb is 1/4 turn past the point where all space is removed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice