1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Pen Drive Formatting Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gazellee, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gazellee

gazellee Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an 8GB Sandisk USB pen drive, relatively new. Recently when transferring some files there was an error and the drive could not be opened, so I tried to format the drive. The Windows utility could not format the disk, so I have since tried using the command prompt and various file format commands:

format F:/q
    format F:/fs:fat
    format F:/fs:fat32
    format F:/fs:ntfs

Each time I get the following results:

Insert new disk for drive F:
    and press ENTER when ready...
    The type of the file system is RAW.
    The new file system is FAT. (or whatever I tried)
    Verifying 8064M
    Error in IOCTL call.

Its the final line that has got me stumped.
    I've had a search and cant find any solution, so I was wondering if anyone else has come across this, and whether anyone knows of a way to solve the problem.

Im on Windows 7. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

3. gazellee

gazellee Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, it does (or did) have the U3 software on it. I have just tried the U3 Launchpad Remover utility (im assuming that's what you mean?) and it could not recognise the drive at all.

Out of interest though I thought I would try the U3 Launchpad Installer - this recognised that there was a U3 drive, but said that mine was not a Sandisk drive and the software was only suitable for Sandisk compatible drives.

I'm beginning to think that it might be a lost cause and destined for the bin...

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

It may indeed be broken. Any warranty left?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915626