1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb pen/flash drive questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scott0999, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scott0999

scott0999 Thread Starter

I'm thinking about getting one of those usb pen drives so I can download stuff at work and take it home (i have dialup and they have dsl)..question is my work of course only has usb 1.1 and I have 2.0 at home. is this going to work? also whats a good drive to get? thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, it'll work just fine. You'll obviously have slower access at work, around 1 mbyte/sec read/write, but that's the only difference.

As far as brands, as cheap as they are, I'd just go for any recognizable brand and shop for price. Here's where I'd look first:

More Stuff 4 Less

Tech Bargains

Deal News

If you check these pages for a week or two, a deal will probably come along on a 512mb model for $20 or less after rebate.

3. scott0999

scott0999 Thread Starter

cool thanks and does anyone here have one of those drives and could recommend a good one?

4. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon scott, you would be better with a USB-2 model, they are all pretty good, I have half a dozen (all different) but for some odd reason I like the Kingston ones best. Probably because they look nicer.(LOL)
    Some have swing-away covers that don't get lost which is a good idea.
    Once you get used to using them you are never without them.
    I have one with an operating system on it, it actually boots the machine like a hard drive, certainly the way of the future.
    Happy driving.
    qldit.

5. JohnWill

I have a bunch of them, the Lexar and SanDisk ones are the ones I reach for when I need one. My SanDisk 512mb model is the newest, and the fastest using USB 2.0.

6. Jones

Jones

I agree with John. SanDisk products are very good. I have numerous SanDisk SD cards and a couple of USB drives, and they all work very well.

7. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Happy chappies, yes the speed difference between using a USB-1 and -2 flashdrives is quite remarkable.
    It is also interesting to note they are identified differently in some Linux versions, USB-1 shows as MS DOS device and USB-2 as Windows device in this one.

FYI Johnwill, that Recovery Manager program I mentioned has recovered numerous flashdrives that have become unreadable in my experience.
    The destructions for that program http://vaiosoft.com/ suggest it is specifically for flash devices.
    The last couple of chaps on this site with flash problems never replied a fix, but I suspect that was the case.
    There must be some odd little hic-cup that causes this read problem, it is becoming quite common.
    One instruction set I had suggested to avoid using ordinary windows format for formatting flashdrives but I never learned why.

I think anyone using these kind of drives might best get a copy of this program before it goes commercial and costs, it certainly is a gem. (and it is free!)
    Of course if you have the program you will probably never need it! (LOL)
    Cheers, qldit.

8. acameron

acameron

Hi Everyone,

The USB drives are very handy. What I really like is my Ipod Shuffle. It holds 512mb of music or data. The Itunes software that comes with it allows for setup of a music/data partition and it will hold any combination of both. Really cool and not bad on the wallet for around $99.00 (y)

9. bluem3hatch

bluem3hatch

Im very happy with Iomega mini drive, I have both a 512 and 1 gig version. They are small, and come with a ball bearing necklace and key fob

10. JohnWill

Ball bearing necklace? Is that to make the FLASH drive roll easier? :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice