1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Pinout on Compaq Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by craigus, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigus

craigus Thread Starter

I just put a system together with a Compaq Presario 5000T motherboard (motherboard model 686C3 with P-III 933) and am having trouble getting the front case USB ports to work. The header on the board looks like a standard 9 pin header but no matter how I connect to port cables I get a "unrecognized USB device" message in Win XP. I've measured voltages on the pins and get 5 volts on the first and third pins instead of the standard first and fourth. I've rewired the connector on the cable to the front panel accordingly but no luck. Seems like no matter how I arrange the wires into the header I get the same message when I plug my thumb drive in. The thumb drive reads fine when plugged into the rear USB connectors on the board.

I know it's usually a waste of time trying to make use of old Compaq parts, but other than this problem the board actually hooked up and runs great in a new mini ATX case. If I can get this little annoyance figured out I'll have a pretty decent little machine for cheap.

Any help would be great. Thanks

2. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Welcome to TSG Forums :cool:

Well if it says "Unrecognized USB Device" then its plugged in right because otherwise XP wouldn't even see it.

If you haven't installed SP2, do so, that usually solves any USB related problems. Worked for me. (y)

3. craigus

craigus Thread Starter

Thanks. I've only just now installed XP with no service packs, so I'll give it a shot.

Craig

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice