USB poor at recognizing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brock13

I have had a lot of trouble with printers and my ipod being recognized by winxp. Not only for this computer but my last one too. Is there some trick to this that I don't know.

eMachines uses about the worst power supplys of all manufacturers (usually Bestec). Most of the time when these units fail, they also take out the motherboard, and sometimes other components.

If you machine has a Bestec unit, I would change it ASAP to a better quality, stronger power supply which may very well solve your USB problems.

brock13

The machine I have was made by IBM but I couldn't say what the power supply is. I take it you feel the problem is in the power supply. Wouldn't a powered external hub be equally effective if I just ran everything off the hub rather than plugging all the usb's directly into the machine? Thanks for replying.

mtzlplex

Account Closed
Just a thought here, but under your computer specs, you state you have a e-machines t2958, that is probably why win2kpro gave you the e-machines advice.

brock13

lol, perfectly understandable. Information is now updated. Do you have any comments now?

brock13

I know what bios is and how to get there but I find nothing there that even looks like what you are referring to. Lets just forget the whole thing. You seem disgruntled about something. Humbug!!!

Many problems with USB are caused by low voltage on the power supply +5v rail.

BIOS's are set up differently between board manufacturers and OEM builders so I cannot tell you exactly where you would look for what is generally referred to as "hardware monitoring". Many times it will be in a sub-menu located beneath the Advanced tab in BIOS.

Hardware monitoring generally shows the motherboard and CPU temperature, and the board voltages for the +3.3V, +5v, and +12V rails, and vCore voltages.

In troubleshooting issues such as you are encountering you have to start by looking at the voltages shown in BIOS. If you can locate "hardware monitoring" in BIOS and post the value displayed for the +5v rail, if it is near or below +4.75v, post the value of the voltage, and someone who is not "disgruntled" may be able to assist you with your problem.

muppy03

Chris
are you receiving the --not recognised blah blah device has malfunctioned message-- is that what you are referring to? If that is the case, then yes there is a trick to it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!