1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB port and Windows 98

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rakhehari, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rakhehari

rakhehari Thread Starter

One of my computers is not upgradable to have a network card installed. The computer is running Windows 98. I purchased a USB to Networka adapter but I do not see the USB under the Device Manager. Do I have to install a separate USB driver ?

Your earliest reply will be highly appreciated. Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If there is no USB hub in Device Manager, you either don't have USB hardware, or it's disabled in the BIOS. Fix that BEFORE you even plug in the USB to Ethernet adapter. Don't try to get the USB hub working with anything plugged into the USB ports.

3. Del

Del

Put your mouse cursor over the My Computer Icon on the desktop and "RIGHT CLICK" the mouse, then click on properties.
    Click Device Manager and go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers,
    click plus sign to the left of it and you should have two items listed:
    Something like Inter to PCI Universal Host controller and
    USB root hub

Neither should have any marks over the little icons to the left, no exclamation marks or question marks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice