1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Port for MS Optical Mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnnyGold, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnnyGold

JohnnyGold Thread Starter

I've got a Compaq Athlon 500 with four USB ports. Only one of them is being used. I have used the "restore" disk and except for the periphrials, the machine is out of the box new. I haven't installed the drivers for the other periprials.

When I plug the transmitter for the mouse into a USB port, the computer won't boot. It hangs on the "Compaq" screen and won't go any farther. I'm not sure how far into loading that is.

Don I need to remove the old serial mouse, first? Do I need to take this thing back? Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try plugging it in after the computer is almost to the desktop.

3. JohnnyGold

I tried to plug the transmitter into the port after the boot up starts. That still doesn't work.

4. deuce

deuce

Try changing "USB Legacy" support in your bios to enabled. (it is probably at auto... which disables if nothing is in at start up) then try what candy said again... but wait until windows is completely loaded and you can do stuff. (if only you have a mouse :)) USB is hot-swappable so you can plug and unplug any time you want.

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    What is the model# of your Compaq PC?. Without knowing, see if <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q257406> this</a> helps. I looks like you may need to temporily use the PS2 adapter on the first boot with the new mouse and then plug it into the USB port.

Let us know what happens.

6. deuce

deuce

Sorry, this is a little OT... but Bryan I never really run into you very much in threads... have you considered having one of us animate that avatar of yours? It looks cool, but I think animating that jockey a bit would be an interesting touch. (also... is it alright to stray for one post or should the help boards be kept to help?) Sorry to interrupt Johnny.

7. JohnnyGold

Thanks for the support, guys. But, I took the thing back to the store. I think that I'll try the Logitech.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice