1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Port fried?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by winterain, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. winterain

winterain Thread Starter

Got a problem here... was gaming as usual, suddenly computer froze.. thought it was 1 of those routine win xp freezes, so i just press restart..
    next thing i know, my mouse's optical light is off, and i realize all 4 usb ports are not working....
    checking in windows device manager shows that they're working fine with no conflicts whatsoever though..
    but theres no response from any hardware plugged to them...
    could the ports be fried ? any solution to this w/o replacing the motherboard?
    :( thanks alot for any responses.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

You could buy an add in PCI USB card.

Have you tried removing the USB devices via device manager and see if Windows can find the ports again?

3. winterain

winterain Thread Starter

just tried removing the USB buses from device manager, and tried the add hardware wiz... surprisingly... everything was detected...

4. ~Candy~

And?

Do they work now or not?

5. winterain

winterain Thread Starter

they still don't... :(

6. ~Candy~

Well, that would indicate that something must have happened to them. An add in PCI card can be had for as little as $10, sometimes less. I got one free after rebate once.

7. winterain

winterain Thread Starter

hi i'm back,
    something very fishy is going on! coz i went to buy a pci usb card today, and plugged it in.. it installed fine w/o any problems... i was even delighted to see my mouse's optical light up the moment i boot up the PC ...
    HOWEVER .....
    once in windows, windows has a little pop up that says ' There appears to be a malfunction with one of your USB devices, and windows xp is unable to detect your usb device.. bla bla " ..
    But, i plug in my mouse to my 2nd computer, and it runs just fine .....
    what could be the problem?

8. ~Candy~

9. obvious

obvious

i think its the intergrated usb ports are knackered. new mobo time methinks.

btw, LUIS VILLAZON RULZ J00!!!!! www.luisvillazon.com

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice