1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB port installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rmiller, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rmiller

rmiller Thread Starter

HELP............We recently received a "Stick Cam" and MP3 player! Both require a USB port which we purchased at circuit city and installed according to directions included (These were very vague). The camera came with a program that was installed and can run also from our scanner. It seems to function from the scanner, but not the camera. This leads me to believe that the USB is not installed properly or the system is not recognizing it. None of the instructions indicate that I need to do anything but plug it in. What steps did we miss? Does anyone know?

2. deuce

deuce

Is this an USB add on card that is PCI interface... or does it hook up to a root hub directly on your mobo? Either way I imagine you need to install drivers for the USB card.

3. rmiller

rmiller Thread Starter

I am sorry to say that I'm not sure which it is...My husband hooked it up and I can't find the box. It was a dual port that was connected to a small electronic board that he plugged directly into the system. I wasn't sure about how to do it, but he felt confident and now I'm just trying to make it work. Thanks for any help you can give.

4. TechChick

TechChick

What operating system is your computer running?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You need to enter the bios setup while the computer is restarting....there is a key to press, usually DEL, Compaqs want F 10, other computer F 1 or F 2....if neither of these work, post the computer model information and someone can assist you.

Once you reach the bios setup, look around for something similar to USB SUPPORT....make sure it is set to ENABLED......save changes and restart the computer.

6. rmiller

rmiller Thread Starter

I went to the BIOS and found the USB area and it is "DISABLED"...I tried to change it and can't figure out how to do it. nothing,that I can see, will alow me to select the "ENABLE" area. We have Windows 98 HELP!!!!!!!!!I'M going crazy!!!!!!!

7. TechChick

TechChick

Try changing that value using the arrow keys or the space bar.

8. deuce

deuce

What bios do you have?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice